The New Zealand Poetry Society (NZPS) was established in 1973 with the goal of advancing education by promoting, developing, and supporting poets and poetry in New Zealand.
We do this through:
- a fine line – our quarterly magazine, which is emailed or posted to members.As part of supporting our members, we regularly put forward poems from a fine line for consideration in the annual Best New Zealand Poems.
- The Annual International Poetry Competition
- The Annual New Zealand Poetry Society Anthology which is also submitted to Best New Zealand Poems each year.
- The New Zealand Poetry Conference.
- The New Zealand Poetry Society website and Facebook page.
- The quarterly Instagram Poetry Competition.
NZPS also hosts Haiku NZ on the New Zealand Poetry Society website.
Membership perks include:
- Receiving a fine line as it’s published, plus being able to send poems to the editor for consideration.
- Discounts on competition entry fees, copies of the anthology, and conference entry.
- Generally supporting our various activities which also means supporting poetry in New Zealand.
Our work is only possible thanks to the support of our members.
- $30 for basic membership — the quarterly magazine, a fine line, will be sent to you by email.
- $15 for student membership — for full-time students; the quarterly magazine, a fine line, will be sent to you by email.
- $60 for postal membership — a printed copy of the quarterly magazine, a fine line, will be posted to you; within New Zealand only.
- $45 for joint membership (at the same physical address and different email addresses).
- $60 for schools and libraries — one printed copy of the quarterly magazine, a fine line, will be posted to you.
- $60 for established poetry groups, with membership criteria (e.g. not open mic venues or casual groups) — one copy of the quarterly magazine, a fine line, will be emailed to the named representative of the Group for distribution to regular and recognised members of the Group.
How to become a member or renew your membership
Enter your details in the form below or download a membership form.
How to pay
Pay by post or bank deposit
- If paying by internet banking:
- deposit payment to account number: 06-0501-082337110.
- Remember to put the name of the member (the same as you have entered on the form) and the word “membership” in the reference fields.
- If paying by cheque, bank cheque or postal order post the form and payment to PO Box 5283, Wellington 6140.
Pay by Paypal
Ongoing basic membership at $30 per year
Ongoing student membership at $15 per year
Ongoing postal and school/library/poetry group membership at $60 per year
Ongoing joint membership at $45 per year
One-off basic membership at $30 per year
One-off student membership at $15 per year
One-off postal and school/library/poetry group membership at $60 per year
One-off joint membership at $45 per year