This is a list of poetry events, workshops, groups and readings that meet regularly in venues throughout New Zealand. If you run an event or a planning to, feel free to contact us so we can include your event in this list: email@example.com
Auckland | Christchurch | Coromandel | Cromwell | Dunedin | Golden Bay | Greymouth | Hamilton | Hawke’s Bay | Kapiti | Marlborough | Nelson | Palmerston North | Porirua | Rotorua | Taupo | Tauranga | Timaru | Wairarapa | Wanaka | Wellington | Whakatane | Whangarei
- POETRY LIVE AUCKLAND Book yourself in to read at Poetry Live, at the Thirsty Dog, 469 Karangahape Rd, Auckland City. Tuesdays 8 p.m. Guest poets, guest musician & open mike. Contact: MCs Dietrich, Rachael, Penny, Tim or Michelle by email: firstname.lastname@example.org, putting the MC’s name in the subject line.
- OPEN MIC NIGHT Waiatarua: 7-10pm every 2nd Wednesday. Free entry. Elevation Café, 473 Scenic Drive. Poets, singer/songwriters, comedians – original performers encouraged, solos, duos & small ensembles only (sorry no drum kits). PA, mics, stands & percussion supplied, 3 items (max 15 mins) per performer. Performers prize draw. To pre-book a spot, E: email@example.com or enter on the night. For more info or restaurant bookings call Elevation (09) 814 1919 and email firstname.lastname@example.org
- INSIDE.OUT Open Mic for Writers (est. 2012) Open mic readings and performances with guest musicians, once every month. All writers welcome to share fiction, poetry, non-fiction, performance poetry etc or come as audience, meet other writers & get updates on what’s on. Five-word-challenge with three book prizes. 7 00pm – 10 00pm, One2One Café, 121 Ponsonby Rd, Auckland. Email for more info: email@example.com
- TITIRANGI POET’S SESSIONS are held at Titirangi Library, 500 Titirangi South Road, between 2 pm and 4pm. on the second Saturday of every month.more info email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- OREWA WRITING GROUP: an informal writing group of 3 active writers looking for more writers to join in our group in Orewa NZ. We meet the first Monday of each month. Email email@example.com.
- AIRING CUPBOARD WOMEN’S POETS meet at 10 a.m. every 2 weeks at South Christchurch Library, 66 Colombo Street Street. Ring Judith Walsh ph. 03 342 9881 or Barbara Strang ph. 03 376 4486.
- THE CANTERBURY POET’S COLLECTIVE Spring Season. Wednesdays at 6.30pm, CPIT Students Association (CPSA) Hall, 5 Madras Street. Canterbury Poets Collective (CPC) presents open mic and guest readers. Audience votes for the Best Open Mic Poet. The programme will be posted when it is available.
- CATALYST POETRY OPEN MIC: First Wednesday of the month, The Twisted Hop, 616 Ferry Rd, Woolston, Christchurch.
- BEAT STREET SESSIONS, Christchurch: Third Thursday of the month at Beat St Cafe, Cnr Barbados & Armagh Sts. 6pm for music and open mic sign-up; 7pm for Guest poets. Entry: $5 if you can.
- POETRY FOR PUDDING: Meets from 12-1.30pm on the second Friday of the month, at University Bookshop, Ilam. This is a relaxed supportive environment where poets of all levels are welcome. Bring a favourite poem – yours, or another’s – to share.
- SELWYN WRITER’S SALON: First Tuesday of the Month, upstairs at The Laboratory, 7 pm to 9 pm, Free Admission – all Welcome.
- SMALL WHITE TEAPOT: Meets regularly at 7pm on the third Tuesday of the month, for about a couple of hours to hear, discuss and critique the haiku. We do not stick to the 5-7-5 format of the Japanese language style of three line haiku, as some thinking is that if Basho, the master haiku writer had spoken and written in the English language, he would have used the syllabic format which has developed. The same guidelines apply: environment, season, nature, the moment, imagery, etc. usually in three lines. Sundry cost of $3. Venue: Avebury House, Eveleyn Couzins Ave, Richmond. The SWTHG will be pleased to welcome you.
- THE CATALYST poetry open mic. Tuesdays at 8pm. Wunderbar, Lyttelton. BYO poetry, creative writing — all welcome.
- THAMES POETS CIRCLE, co-hosted by Greg Brimblecombe and Jill Steadman Read, meets on the fourth Thursday of every month at 7.00pm. Venue: SpeakEasy, 740 Pollen Street, Thames. For more information please contact Greg on 07 868 9947 or firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
- CROMWELL WRITERS meet on the last Tuesday of the month in the homes of members on a shared basis. Contact Tom Llandreth on 03 4451352.
- LIVE POETRY WITH THE OCTAGON POETRY COLLECTIVE We meet monthly (most months) in the Dog With Two Tails Cafe and Bar in Moray Place, a few doors up from the Rialto cinema. At 8pm, on the second-last Tuesday of the month, one of us hosts an evening of live poetry. Usually we feature two invited guests, who may be local poets of note but we also try to be aware of poets of national and international standing who might welcome an invitation to read. Our open mic is a popular, lively part of the evening, where everyone is welcome to participate. Great friendly, supportive crowd, excellent food and drink available at the counter. For specific details, check out our Facebook page: Octagon Collective/Dog with Two Tails Poetry Readings. To contact us, email firstname.lastname@example.org and cc: email@example.com
- GOLDEN BAY LIVE POET’S SOCIETY has a monthly Performance Night at the famous Mussel Inn Bush Café at Onekaka. (For dates go to Mussel Inn.) Visiting poets are most welcome. For news of meetings contact convenor Mark Raffills at firstname.lastname@example.org or 03 544 4975 ext. 210
- WORD OF MOUTH meets every month on the last Wednesday, 7.30-9pm at the Left Bank Art Gallery, 1 Tainui Street. A friendly, enthusiastic gathering of poets and poetry fans. All welcome. Contact Greg O’Connell W: (03) 768 5597 H: (03) 768 5222 M: (027) 759 0531 E: email@example.com
- POETS ALIVE meet on the last Friday of the month from 7–9pm. For more information contact Celia Hope at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HAWKES BAY LIVE POETRY SOCIETY meets at 8pm on the second Monday of each month (except January) at the Hastings Community Arts Centre, 106 Russell Street, Hastings. Contact Bill Sutton on 06 844 4196 or email email@example.com.
- POET’S TO THE PEOPLE meets at Hightide Cafe, 44 Marine Parade, Paraparaumu Beach, 4-6pm, on the last Sunday of the month February to November, except October. Guest poet each month. Open mic at 4pm. Snacks and beverages are available. Entry price of $5 covers the poet’s koha and general expenses. Contact Michael Keith firstname.lastname@example.org.
- POETRY CORNER: An informal group for lovers of poetry; meets between 6pm and 8.30pm on the first Monday of each month, at various locations. Readers, writers, listeners and performers are all welcome. Come and go as you please during the allotted time. For more information please contact June Bowen, at 03 577 9035.
- NELSON LIVE POET’S SOCIETY meets on the fourth Monday of every month at The Free House, 95 Collingwood Street; 6pm for a 6.30 start. Open mic. Contact email@example.com
- PICTON POETS: (founded by Ernest Berry in 1994) meet on the third Wednesday of each month at 10.30 am at the Picton Library. Poets share their own original poetry and comment in an encouraging way. New members and visitors to Marlborough are welcome.
- STAND UP POETRY: Open mic poetry evening and special guest poet. First Wednesday of the month, 7-9 pm, Sound & Vision Zone, Level 1, Central Library. Organiser: Helen Lehndorf. For more information on this and other happenings, contact (06) 351 4100; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; website http://www.citylibrary.pncc.govt.nz/ Contact person at the library is Jenny Veller.
- POETRY AND MUSIC AT THE METRO. First Sunday of every month, 3pm-6pm at the Metropolitan Restaurant and Bar, 7 Lydney Place, Porirua City Centre (opp. Railway Station, behind Bus stop). Programme: 3pm-5pm Open mic for any performance poetry, song, instrumental, original or covers, dance etc, any genre – traditional or contemporary, pop, rock, folk, rap, whatever. 5pm-6pm features invited guest artist – poet, musician, singer, band, soloist or combination. Come along and put your name on the blackboard and have a go, or just listen and enjoy. Koha collection taken for guest artist. Food and drink available from bar. We are always looking for guest artists whether musos, poets, dancers, or any other type of performers. For more information contact Phil O’Connell (04)237-9902; mobile 027 786 5542; email email@example.com if you are interested and available.
- ROTORUA MAD POETS meet every Wednesday night at the Rotorua Public Library at 6:00 pm. All poets and general public welcome to attend. Light refreshments available afterwards. 7.30-9.30 p.m
- LIVE POETS: A friendly group of Taupo poets and writers who meet for informal readings at 5.15pm on the last Wednesday of each month at the Taupo Museum. These are open to all, and readings of original poems and those by favourite authors are encouraged. Email Geni for more information firstname.lastname@example.org
- There are monthly Poetry Workshops at members’ homes, which look in depth at poems written by members with a view to improving the skill of members in an encouraging atmosphere.
- Children’s Poetry Readings are held every school holidays.
- We read at local Rest homes on dates which suit the Rest Homes.
- We also organise occasional guest poets and Poetry Day events for Taupo.
- TAURANGA WRITERS: A self-help group established over 40 years ago. We get together monthly to exchange experience and expertise, discuss tactics and techniques and to share work in progress for constructive criticism. We meet on the first Thursday of the month at 7.00 pm, at The Alzheimer’s Society House, 116, 13th Avenue, Tauranga. Contact Jenny Argante on 07 578 5757 and 022 053 48 68, or email email@example.com. All genres and new members always welcome. Enquirers may request a complimentary copy of Update, our monthly newsletter, to find out what we’re all about.
- For poetry events, or to contact Timaru or South Canterbury poets, contact Karalyn Joyce at firstname.lastname@example.org ph. 03 6147858.
- WAIRARAPA WORD meets on the first Sunday of the month, 3-5pm, at Almo Books, High St, Carterton. All welcome: poets, novelists, lyricists, story-tellers, more. We read aloud our original work and the work of others. Free entry. Cash bar.
- POETIC JUSTICE WANAKA: Wanaka poets meet sporadically for open mic nights and workshops. They have a growing programme of national and international performers. See the website for meeting dates and times.
- POETRY IN MOTION happens on the first Wednesday of the month at Meow, in Edward St. It is an inclusive event which aims to raise the profile of poetry and spoken word as a fun, engaging art form and challenge people’s notions of what poetry is. This is a forum for sharing ideas, laughter, tears and views on life with a community of people who love words and performance in a lively bar atmosphere. No open mic as such, but people can book a ‘Stage’ slot during the first half of the show and read/perform for 5–6 minutes.
- POETRY AT THE FRINGE: 4–6pm on the 3rd Sunday of every month at the The Fringe Bar, Allen St. Featuring an open mic, Guest Poet and a musical interlude. For information contact Neil Furby, email@example.com
- LIVE POETS meet at 7.30pm on the third Monday of the month, in the home of a member. Contact: Margaret Wilson at 07 3072308 (you can leave a message).
- POETS EXPOSED: at the Piano Bar and Restaurant, Rust Avenue, Whangarei, third Thursday of every month, 6pm to 9pm. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org